In today’s time, having dark lips is a common problem. The dark lips do not occur only due to smoking. However, it is one of the main factors. There are other factors which lead to darkening of lips. So, most of the people are looking for ways to lighten dark lips.
Some of the common reasons that cause dark lips include sun exposure, high-stress levels, drinking too much coffee, the habit of peeling lip’s skin and more.
You need to understand that your lips are more sensitive than the rest parts of your body.
It needs extra care.
So, I have prepared this guide using which you can lighten dark lips.
All the treatment methods I will mention here are home remedies. So, yes, you don’t have to spend a lot of money on any cosmetic or surgery.
All you need to do is buy these ingredients and you are good to go. But don’t worry, because you will have most of these ingredients in your refrigerator!
What are the reasons for having dark lips?
If you have asked google ‘Why do I have dark lips?’ then you must know that there can be several factors.
As I have mentioned above, the common cause for darkening of lips is excess smoking. Smoking causes dark lips, so it has become an identity for smokers.
So, even if you don’t smoke and have dark lips, people may ask you whether you smoke or not!?
It has happened to me as well.
I know it is quite embarrassing especially when you don’t smoke.
Some of the other reasons which cause darkening of the lips are:
- Excessive Caffeine consumption like coffee.
- Leaving on lipstick or makeup while you sleep.
- Exposure of lips to too much sunlight and pollution.
- Using cosmetics that may cause side-effects.
- Applying expired products on your lips such as lipstick.
So, you must ensure that the product you are using on your lips is of good quality and devoid of any side-effects. That’s why I recommend you to completely shift to organic products as they cause negligible side-effects.
Also, check all your make-up products for their expiry dates. Especially, keep an eye for the lipstick expiry dates!
Don’t use it beyond the expiry date.
It may work fine but it will damage your lips’ skin.
Table of Contents
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Cucumber slices
- Essential Oils
- Beetroot Balm
- Pomegranate Seeds with milk
- Sugar and Coconut Oil
- Lemon and Honey
1. Aloe Vera Gel for Dark Lips
Aloe Vera is a wonder plant product that is used for several medicinal purposes. The flesh of the Aloe Vera is great for your skin, hair and much more.
And not so surprisingly, it helps to lighten dark lips.
With proper use, you can make your lips look naturally pink. At the same time, it will also make your lips smooth and soft!
Moreover, if you have any irritation on your lips, the flesh will cool it down and treat it too. It behaves as a great moisturizer for your lips.
Use it regularly if you have dry lips.
So, how will you use the aloe vera for your dark lips?
Here is my step-by-step guide on the removal of dark lips with aloe vera.
- Get some fresh aloe vera leaves. Slice it open from the middle.
- Take out the transparent flesh which will look like a gel. Place the gel in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of olive oil or coconut oil into the flesh. Mix it well.
- Once the mixture is ready just rub it on your lips like a lip balm.
Do this procedure regularly and you will start seeing changes soon.
However, for a few people, it may take longer time. So, please be patient. If you do not get any aloe vera plant leaf. you can buy organic aloe vera gel from the market.
2. Use Cucumber slices and juice to treat your dark lips
Cucumber is a great natural ingredient for your lips. It has anti-oxidant properties. When you use the cucumber juice on your lips it will provide it will the essential ingredients.
How can you use the Cucumber for your darker lips?
Take a cucumber and peel it. Slice it properly. But please be careful with the knife.
- Apply the slice directly on to your lips. Ensure that your lips are completely clean.
- Otherwise, you can use a juicer to get the juices of the cucumber. Apply the juice directly on your lips.
- The cucumber juice helps in moisturizing and to lighten dark lips
3. Rosewater to reduce the darkness of lips
One of the most commonly used natural ingredients for skincare is Rosewater. It is highly beneficial for your body and your skin. It works magically for any skin related problem.
So, how to use the rosewater to reduce pigmentation on your lips?
- Try to find the most organic rosewater in the market. Most of the rosewater bottles and brands you see in the market are not pure rosewater. They consists of additives that may be harmful for your skin. So, go find the most organic one. You simply need to check the ingredient list on the product to find it out. But let me warn you, the organic ones will cost a bit more.
- Once you have your rose water. First cleanse your lips properly. Wash it properly and make it dry.
- After that apply some rosewater on your lips lightly. Leave it like that for a few minutes.
- Repeat this process on a daily basis. And you will start seeing changes after a few weeks,
Rosewater is a brilliant ingredient that can remove pigmentation from your lips. It is great in enhancing the brightness of your lips. So, even if you do not have dark lips, you may use to make your lips look more bright.
4. Essential Oils for lightening dark lips
In Ayurveda, using essential oils for lips has been given as a treatment procedure. Even to this day, we are suggested to use coconut oil on our lips when they crack and become dry during the winter months.
Similarly, using coconut oil and almond oil helps to lighten dark lips. When you massage any of these oils on your lips, it also exfoliates the lip skin. This process removes any kind of dead cells from your lips.
Coconut oil consists of fatty acids which hydrate your lips. The Almond oil is great for discolouration of the pigmented dark lips. Using Almond oil on daily basis will make your lips’ skin smooth!
How to use almond oil and/or coconut oil to lighten dark lips?
Almond and Coconut oil are two readily available products in Indian homes. However, ensure that the one you are using is organic.
Don’t use the one which comes with other chemicals and additives. Prolong use of such commercial oil products is harmful! So, be careful when you buy these products.
Natural coconut oil and Almond oil is available. But you may have to struggle to find it. Before buying, just check the ingredient list so that you are sure that they do not have any additives.
Here is the step-by-step guide on using coconut oil or almond oil on your lips:
- Take the coconut oil or the almond oil in a small bowl. You won’t require a large quantity. A few drops will do!
- Massage the oil on your lips for a few seconds. Take time in massaging both the upper and the lower lips.
- Let it rest like that for a few hours and then wash it off. It may not wash off easily as it is oil. But it will go away later.
- If you can do that at night before going to bed and keep the oil on your lips overnight. It will work wonders.
- Repeat this for a few weeks and you will see the change.
- But don’t go outside in the sun after applying the coconut oil on your lips. If you do so, it will make your lips darker.
Read More: Short Guide: Ayurveda Skincare Routine
5. Beetroot Balm can remove the darkness of lips
As you all know that Beetroot is a wonder vegetable. It is known for its beautiful pink-purplish color.
But do you know that it works well for your lips’ skin too?
Yes, if you can use it on your lips regularly, you will get softer, pinker and smoother lips within a few days.
How to prepare the beetroot balm for your lips?
Go to the market and buy beetroot powder. Yes, you read it right! You require beetroot powder.
Also, you need shea butter, olive oil and beeswax pellets. So have them ready from before.
- Take ½ of Beetroot powder, 1 Tablespoon of shea butter, 2 spoonfuls of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of beeswax.
- Add all these ingredients in a bowl and mix them well. You need to integrate each ingredient. It must look like a paste.
- Once you do that, pour it into a jar and let it cool. You can keep in the normal temperature if you want. But I will suggest you refrigerate it.
- After it is completely cold, use the balm on your lips.
- And that’s how you make beetroot balm. This is very useful for treating dark lips. You can get your natural lip colour soon when you start using this balm regularly.
6. A mixture of pomegranate seeds and milk cream can reduce the darkness of your lips
Pomegranate seeds are red in colour and are great in reducing your lip’s darkness. Using the pomegranate juice will reduce melanin production in your lips.
And you know what melanin does? It darkens your skin tone.
So, when you use the juice of pomegranate seeds, it will reduce this activity and help in bringing back the natural lip colour.
How to use the Pomegranate seeds and milk cream to reduce the dark colour of your lips?
- You will need a pomegranate, Obviously! and some milk cream!
- Take out all the seeds and grind them in a grinder with the milk cream.
- Take it out and mix it well.
- Apply this paste on your lips regularly and see what wonders it does.
But remember this will help in bringing your lips natural skin tone. It won’t make your lips pinker than it’s natural colour.
7. Sugar and Coconut oil paste to lighten dark lips
I have tried out this method and it really works. However, you should be patient. It will take weeks to show its results.
For this, you will require some sugar and organic coconut oil.
Don’t use coconut oil which comes with additives and other harmful chemicals. Go for the ones which are 100% pure coconut oil. Don’t forget to check the ingredient list on the product when you purchase it.
The sugar will work as an exfoliating agent when you apply on your lips. This will scrape off the dead cells that have accumulated on your lips. The coconut oil will act as a hydrating agent and will keep your lips moisturized.
How to prepare the sugar and the coconut mixture for lightening dark lips?
This one is very easy. You don’t have to do anything. Just buy the coconut oil if you don’t have it in your home. And sugar, I think it’s there in your kitchen.
- Take 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Mix these two in a small bowl. You won’t require a big bowl unless you want to make a big batch.
- Ensure that you mix them well and blend them together.
- Once done, apply this paste on your lips and rub it gently. If you are using coarse sugar, do it lightly. Keep doing that for some time! This is the exfoliating procedure. It will remove the dead cells on your lips.
- When you are done, just clean your lips by wiping with a damp cloth.
- You will feel that your lips are a bit softer after you do this process. This is because the dead cells are removed. The dead cells on your lips create a hard layer. So, once it is removed, you will get your natural lip exposed.
- Apply this balm once or twice in the week! Don’t do it regularly as too much exfoliation may irritate your lips.
Read More: Skincare Tips For Raksha Bandhan
8. Use Lemon and Honey to lighten dark lips quickly
If you have an event coming up in a few weeks and you want to fix your dark lips soon, then this might be the best for you. I assure you that this lemon and honey pack will reduce your lips’ darkness quickly.
As you all know that both honey and lemon are great for our skin. Similarly, it works great on our lips. When we use both as a paste, its effectiveness doubles up and you get the results sooner.
The method to prepare the Lemon-Honey paste:
Lemon works as a bleaching agent. So, when we use this on our dark lips it will automatically remove the darkness. On the other hand, the honey will help in cleansing the lip skin and hydrating it. So, when you use this combo, it will work miraculously!
Check out the step-by-step guide on how to prepare the mixture?
- Get a lemon, Juice it! and take some honey. Ensure that you are using pure honey and not the one which comes with extra additives.
- Add these in equal quantities in a bowl. The amount will depend on how much paste you want to prepare.
- You have to mix them properly. And then add the paste on your lips.
- After applying wait for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then wipe it off with a clean and soft cloth.
- After that, you may touch your lips and see. You will feel the change. Your lips will become shinier and softer.
You can use any of the above-mentioned methods to get back your natural lip colour. I have used the words ‘natural lip colour’ because it is not possible to lighten dark lips naturally.
However, most of the methods I have listed above will take time. They will take around a week or two to show effect. So, don’t give up midway. Continue using it and you will surely see positive results after a few weeks.